Ask Greg – Subdivide and stay in your house

Comments (0) Ask Greg

Our house is on a big block of land, which is larger than we need. What are the rules and regulations if we want to subdivide? We have one of those classic ¼ acre blocks and would like to stay in our house, but sell off about half the land.?

A. You will need to speak with the local Council and consult a surveyor first to determine whether your property is suitable to subdivide. Having the large land size you describe helps; however, it is also important to consider the practicality and expense of completing the subdivision, plus how easily you could sell the extra block.

Items that can influence any subdivision are access for motor vehicles, connection to sewerage and stormwater drainage facilities.

Considerable expense (in the tens of thousands of dollars) would be involved once you have paid the Council and consultants’ fees. Then you’ve got the cost of the engineering works involved in creating new connections for sewerage and stormwater.

Bear in mind this is money you will have pay upfront before you even start looking for a buyer for your land. Of course, you can recover your outlay once you sell and if the land is appealing and in a good location, you could end up with a tidy profit.

One last thing to consider is that you will need to adjust to having a neighbour living much closer than you probably have now. There will also be some disruption at home once your new neighbour starts building on the block.

The whole exercise requires patience and persistence, so be prepared if you should decide to embark on this exercise. The steps along the way are many and they all take time, but it may well be a great investment of time and effort in the end.

Answers are general comment, and readers should always seek their own independent professional advice.

Send your real estate questions to
Greg Trembath is Principal/Licensee at
Greg Trembath Real Estate.
Licensed Real Estate Agent – Licensed Auctioneer.

Leave a Reply